Tuesday, February 8, 2011

His

I am heavy today. Heavy with my sin and with my past and with things that I regret. Shame is constantly there to steal my joy and lie to my heart. The gospel is always sweet to me but on days like today I am reminded that it is the one thing that is certain, the only thing I can cling to and the only thing that satisfies me.

In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead. And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him.
Colossians 2:11-14

God made me alive. God forgave all my trespasses. He completely cancelled my infinitely large debt of wickedness that stood between me and Him--all the sins I would commit before I trusted Him as my Savior, and all the sins after. My whole life of sin was nailed to the cross and set aside. A just God put all of His righteous wrath that should have gone towards me, onto His beloved Son, who was perfect and without sin.

"For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."
2 Corinthians 5:21

Jesus, who knew no sin, became my sin for me.

And because of this and only this, can I stand justified before a perfect and holy God; clothed in the righteousness of His Son, because of His great mercy and steadfast love and because He is good.

Clinging to the cross is all I have, and all I need.

"Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
Romans 7:24-25b

I am His, and praise God, that is enough.










“There is simply no other way to compete with the forebodings of my conscience, the condemnings of my heart, and the lies of the world and the devil than to overwhelm such things with daily rehearsings of the gospel.”
–Milton Vincent, A Gospel Primer

No comments:

Post a Comment