Sunday, February 20, 2011

a post about scripture



Please, please watch. I was so challenged and encouraged by this. I know it is 45 minutes long, but it is way worth it.

The Lord has been teaching me lately about Scripture. Just like food sustains my physical body, His Word, along with time spent in prayer and fellowship with Him, sustains my spirit. It is that important. It is just as fundamental and essential to my walk with Him, as nutritional sustenance is to my physical body.

His Word is truth, and I need truth every second of the day--to fight temptation, to discern what it is right, and to be satisfied in my Father and not seek other things to satisfy me. One of the primary ways God communicates to and sanctifies his children is through His Word. My mind and heart are prone to distraction and discontentment, and His truth is the one antidote. It is pure, satisfying, and sanctifying.

Write it down. Memorize it. Meditate on it. Surround yourself with it. Let it move you, captivate you and change you.


Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
Deuteronomy 6:4-9

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
Hebrews 4:12

How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.
With my whole heart I seek you;
let me not wander from your commandments!
I have stored up your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O LORD;
teach me your statutes!
With my lips I declare
all the rules of your mouth.
In the way of your testimonies I delight
as much as in all riches.
I will meditate on your precepts
and fix my eyes on your ways.
I will delight in your statutes;
I will not forget your word.
Psalm 119:9-16

No comments:

Post a Comment